Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Cheerful in mercy, passion in leadership

August 7, 2012             Cheerful in mercy, passion in leadership                Romans 11-12

Scripture. The one giving should do it with no strings attached. The leader should lead with passion. The one showing mercy should be cheerful. Romans 12:8b

Observations. I think I generally get so caught up on the gift list in Romans 12 that I have never preached these words that follow-up.  I am struck by the call on leaders to lead with passion. Also, I am aware of how many people who respond to the call to show mercy are less than cheerful while doing it.  But when I think of Bob and Caroline in our community, who head up large mercy ministries, I can't help but think of them as cheerful.

Application.  I need to lead with passion, which means, among other things, pacing myself so that I have gas left in the tank for meetings and occasions when I lead-to watch my moodiness and to be cautious about what I bring from life struggles into those situations.

Prayer.  God, you have called me to lead and gifted me to lead.  Grab me with passion for the mission of your church and let that flow from me to others.  Amen.

No comments: